Lively Golf Club History and Introduction
In 1956 there was a bush fire to the east of Lively. Inco, who owned most of the houses, saw the possible danger of fire to the town, so a fire break along the east side of the town was cleared and was seeded to grass.
A group of Lively residents, who were associated with the Lively Athletic Association, obtained permission from Inco to construct a "par 3" golf course in the fire break. The course was laid out and constructed by volunteers and was ready for play in late 1959. The first official tournament was in 1960. During the early years, the Lively Golf Club was maintained and run by the members with practically no paid help. This included the gradual clearing of more land and lengthening of the course. In 1963 the first clubhouse was erected on Maple Street.
In August 1970, a tornado passed through Lively completely destroying all buildings, equipment and many mature trees. The membership came forward, repaired the damage, planted trees donated by Inco and 250 members each put in $100.00 to assist in the building of a new clubhouse off Sixth Avenue.
In 1972 the club was re-organized and the name was changed to the Lively Golf & Country Club. In 1974 the club became a corporation without share capital in order to obtain a liquor license. Also in that year, the club leased 102 acres of land from Inco, which included the existing area plus room for expansion. From 1974 to 1976 the course went from a par 32 to 35 .
In 1977 the club obtained a Wintario grant to construct the back nine and purchase the necessary equipment to maintain an 18 hole course. Golf course architect Robert Moote was hired to design and supervise construction of the back nine. The project was completed in the spring of 1978 and the back nine opened for play in August of the same year. In the spring of 1978, a full time course superintendent was hired.
Starting in 1982 and made possible by government work programs, improvements were made on the back nine and realignment of the front nine began. By 1986, holes # 4, # 5 and # 6 and the putting green were completed with hole # 3 seeing a 1987 completion. In 1988 holes # 7 and # 8 were finalized and 1989 saw hole # 9 moved away from the houses.
In 1990 the course was playing to a par of 71 at 6100 yards and all major construction on the course was completed.
In 1995 the current clubhouse was completely renovated and a new course maintenance facility was erected near # 18 fairway.
In 2000 the installation of a state of the art fully computerized irrigation system, enabled the club to complete its evolution and remain one of the finest facilities in Northern Ontario. By a series of financial transactions between (Inco/Vale) through the years, the LGCC buildings and property are completely owned by the Club.
2010 saw the Club enjoying its 50th year.
In the years to follow, the course purchased some much needed equipment including a newer fleet of golf carts in 2016.
With good membership support and our continued efforts to bring in more Green Fee players, as well as generating revenue in new ways, our outlook remains positive for good things down the road.
LGC is dedicated to nourishing a quality family environment as well as a financially sound, non-profit golf course and clubhouse facility at reasonable rates. The club is run through a Board of Directors (9) and has evolved its Vision to be: operating a family-oriented, not-for-profit golf facility that will continue to grow through the years. The Club's stated Mission is: Provide a full service golf and clubhouse facility for members and guests of all ages."